If you love using wooden spoons and cutting boards in your kitchen, then this recipe is for you. It is made with 2 simple ingredient that are safe enough to eat! This spoon butter will make your wooden utensils last a life time!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Why do you need Spoon butter?
If you have any wooden spoons or cutting boards, you may notice they they quickly get dried out and can splinter and crack! Using this spoon butter will help your beloved wooden kitchen tools stay good as new and beautify. A good quality wooden spoon will last forever if taken care of properly!
Things you will need for spoon butter
- 1 part Organic Beeswax – you can use a locally sourced beeswax, but beeswax pellets make it easier.
- 4 parts Organic coconut oil
- small heat safe glass jar
- Double boiler or just a pot of boiling water with a glass heat safe jar or measuring cup or bowl inside
- If you want you can get a cute jar for your butter and use a measuring cup to melt the ingredients in.
Spoon butter recipe
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 4 table spoons coconut oil
How to make spoon butter
In a pot heat water
Next, place your small canning jar in the water. If you need to, place a rack or towel at the bottom of the pot so that the glass will not touch the bottom.
Add your beeswax and coconut oil to the glass jar
slowly melt the 2 together
Stir it with a tooth pick or butter knife so that everything is combined
once melted together let the mixture cool and thicken
store with an air tight lid for up to 3 months
How to Use Spoon butter
Generously spread the butter on all your wooden utensils and cutting boards so that it leavces a thick layer.
Leave it on over night.
In the morning wipe all the butter off so nothing is left.
You should be left with utensils that are hydrated so that they are ready to use again.
Repeat when ever your utensils need a refresh or are looking a bit dry!
- In a pot heat water
- place your small canning jar in the water (if you need place a rack or towel at the bottom of the pot sop the glass will not touch the bottom)Add your beeswax and coconut oil to the glass jar
- slowly melt the 2 together you can stir it with a tooth pick or butter knife
- once melted together let the mixture cool and thicken
- store with an air tight lid for up to 3 months
How to Use Spoon butter
- Generously spread the butter on all your wooden utensils and cutting boards.
- Leave it on over night. In the morning wipe all the butter off
- You should be left with utensils hydrated and ready to be used
- Repeat when ever your utensils need a refresh or are looking a bit dry!
You can double or triple this recipe if needed